Student Cafeteria

Thursday, February 27, 2003

This month Willa Cline has been writing about memories in her online journal. In her entry Remembrance she writes that "There are a handful of world events that stick in my mind; not only do I remember them, but I remember the circumstances under which I heard about them. I was in the fifth grade when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. The principal came over the public address system and made an announcement. I was standing in the back of the classroom in front of a bookshelf, looking at the books preparatory to picking one out to read. I can still feel myself standing there, my back to the loudspeaker, standing stock still and listening." In her entry entitled Memories she begins with "There are two stories that I "remember" about myself as a child. I put "remember" into quotation marks because I don't know if I actually remember them independently, or if I remember being told the stories and have constructed my own memories from them. I suspect the latter."

Write about two stories you remember, two events that indelibly etched into your memory.